I had an inquiry on kale and my friend said she just doesn’t like the taste. Well I found a great vegetable stew with kale that I thought I would share. It is gluten-free, diary-free and diabetes friendly with beans that make it high in fiber. I found it in the Everday Food magazine and I do think it is delicious. I will say that I put in about half to 2/3 the amount of kale it called for and added some rotisserie chicken.
Hearty Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sprigs thyme
1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add carrots, celery and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes (reserving juice) and cook, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add tomato juice, kale, beans, thyme, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until slightly reduced, 15 minutes. Divide soup among four bowls and serve. (To store, let cool completely, then refrigerate, in airtight containers, up to 1 week.)
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it.